Photo by Mike Powell.
“…I love first times. I want my whole life to be composed of them. Life is only interesting if life is wide…” — Kill Your Darlings (movie).
2015 will be an explosive year filled with an almost daunting amount of first times and amazing opportunities. It will be my first year at University studying Law conjoint with English (and potentially Psychology) which is very exciting. Despite the challenges the new environment will no doubt throw at me, I would love to take a leap forward in my writing career.
To ensure this, and to further ‘widen’ my life, I’ve set myself a series of writerly goals, of ‘first times’ I’d like to achieve in ‘the writing world’ this year. The following were inspired by Brooke Warner’s post;
- Guest post for a blog I admire.
- Get my name in print.
- Read a banned book during banned book week.
- Submit a story for an anthology.
- Attend a local author reading.
- Attend Writers’ Week in Auckland, New Zealand.
- Shop on Independent Bookstore Day
- Write and post a book review.
- Go to a writers’ conference.
- Participate in the upcoming #PitMad.
- Map a book I love.
- Visit a printing plant (if possible!).
- Enter writing competitions – at least 10 this year.
- Map out a timeline for my current novel.
- Create a book cover for my current novel.
- Commit to a blog! (Post at least once a week for the year!).
- Get a logo made/make a logo.
- Read 55 books (of own choosing) in a year.
- Reach 10,000 followers on Twitter.
- Experiment with freelance work.
- Write a screenplay, even if it’s just a short one.
Here’s to a 2015 filled with firsts.